“Forget FIRE, Introducing ICE” by The Maverick Files https://link.medium.com/1BoHnMv7N8
How to write your first poem?
Let me give you a beginner’s lesson,
on writing your very first poem.
While it may seem like a daunting task,
there must be some simple way to start, you may ask.
And so I’ll tell you the secret to do it in a way that’s quite easy,
without letting it sound too childish or sleazy.
Let us begin first with picking a topic of your choice,
don’t stress too hard, just listen to your inner voice.
Then start putting all your thoughts down on a paper,
don’t worry if it doesn’t feel Shakespearean or the substance starts to taper.
There are poems that rhyme, and others that don’t,
so try to rhyme it simply like mine, or forget about it, if you won’t.
Big words, small words, no matter what you use,
stay true to the theme that you decided to choose.
And take your reader through a bit of a journey that they will remember,
whether it is a joyful ride or a lyrical expression of feelings more somber.
Then read it again and refine it until you see those words flow,
as if each of them were strokes on the broader painting you’re trying to show.
You may be a natural or the effort may suck your mind dry,
but you’ll never find out unless you at least give it a try!
P.S. For a more formal guide on writing poetry, there are many tutorials / articles out there and you should surely go through these before you take your first step at being the Shakespeare or Wordsworth of your generation and find yourself on this list!
How do I write my first post?
Well, I just created this blog and kept wondering what my first post should be and the Blogging University advises me to just get going without being too self-critical and do a “crappy first draft” if it may end up being that.
I should probably start with the motivation behind this blog and there probably isn’t one big “Why”, but a combination of many “Why Nots”. So, basically I thought Why Not…
- …start a new hobby – With the painfully long amount of time the current pandemic stricken world has allowed all of us to spend with our own selves, why not use this time to start a new hobby?
- …rekindle the love for writing – Throughout my childhood growing up, as well as as a college kid about 10 yrs ago, I dabbled my hand at writing blog posts which sit in a blog that shall not be named and I’ve always been convinced I’ll one day write a book and sell enough copies (read millions) to retire on the money, so while that sounds like a distant dream, why not start small?
- …build a memoir for myself – And when I am telling the world my journey after I am a successful writer (see #2), surely a blog will help me write a memoir and serve as inputs into the greatest autobiography of all time, so why not make a start towards that now?
- …find out if people really care? – Haven’t we all had a feeling that the world is missing out on all these incredibly profound thoughts we have, these incredibly funny jokes we make that make our loved ones laugh, these amazing life hacks we just figured? And so why not put it all out there and see if there is an audience?
- …make a little side income? – This isn’t surely the least of all but it makes sound less greedy if I optically place it last, but after spending my free time reading a ton of articles on how to make money online or on how to retire at 40, why not explore if uncle Google can actually help you take a penny from the billions it makes via ads?
And so, as I start this new blogging journey, we’ll see how long this lasts and I am going to use this short 5 point list as a checklist for what I set to achieve and where I ended up.